the ROOTS
of a great ancient History

The origins of the dynasty

In Bobbio, the Marquis Malaspina has one of his top domains acquired for imperial investiture in 1164.
In that year, on September 29, Emperor Frederick Barbarossa rewarded the loyalty and military service of Obizzo Malaspina said the Great with a diploma in which they were short listed and subject to him castles and vast territories: goods in Lunigiana, in the Val Taro, in Val di Trebbia, in Val di Staffora in Lavagna and Sestri valley, as well as in Genoa itself. Goods are also on the committee and the city of Tortona and one in Milan.

1772: the development of viticulture in Bobbio

In 1772, formally beginning the tradition of farming and wine of the House, with the planting of vines on the most suited lands, favoring those that are well exposed to the sun.


They were the grandfather and father of the current owner with foresight to glimpse the potential of viticulture in the valley, increasing the cultivation of the vine in the wake of an ancient tradition, dating back to the monastic foundation of St. Columban.


above:
some of the possessions of the Marquis Malaspina, from the tables produced by the engineer Antonio Maria Losio since 1772. (Archival Marquis Malaspina)

 

The continuity

The current owner, Marchese Obizzo Malaspina, together with his son Currado and wife Beatrice Brichetto Arnaboldi, of an old Genoese-Lombard family, leads the business with passion and competence. He has been responsible for the birth of the Consortium “Colli Piacentini” as an instrument of control and enhancement of local wines, and it is still one of the major shareholders.

 

The company now boasts selected customers in Italy and Europe, with prestigious awards obtained in specialized exhibitions.


 

Malaspina's Palace

The great palace of the Marquis Malaspina is the largest aristocratic residence of Bobbio and includes the entire block.
There you can see galleries of very old age, the upper part of the building was arranged by the Marquis Antonio Maria Malaspina towards the second half of the eighteenth century and designed by Engineer Antonio Maria Losio of Bobbio, who also designed the wide staircase, executed in 1785 by Carlo Giuseppe Calderara Garlasco.



The coherence of the palace is provided for by the Act of March 30, 1761, notarized by Taffirelli; in Malaspina’s archive there is also a beautiful album of drawings of all the properties of the Malaspina family, compiled by Engineer Antonio Maria Losio between 1772 and 1794, containing a precise map of the building. The arrangements for the accommodation of the staircase on the draft Losio with Calderara Garlasco was concluded January 14, 1785 and are preserved in the archive of the Malaspina: Calderara also engraved his initials at the base of the balustrade and was given compensation for 25 pieces of Spain. On August 24, 1780 Pietro Sartorio, plasterer of Genoa, provided the drawings of the alcove and three lounges.



The noble archive and ancient library of the Malaspina family, whose house dates back to Odberto Primo during the reign of Emperor Otto I of Saxony are preserved inside the Malaspina Palace of Bobbio (Palazzo Malaspina), owned by Marquis Obizzo Malaspina. Later on, the descent split in two branches: the one of Spino Fiorito and that of Spino Secco, which counts numerous famous figures, of which the current Marquis is descendant.



Among these figures, we shall remind the names of Franceschino and Moroello Malaspina who welcomed Dante Alighieri as guest, who dedicated in their honour, a few verses of the eighth canto of the Purgatory, and Alessandro Malaspina (1754-1809), scientist and explorer at the service of the Court of Spain.



The historical archive of Bobbio, extremely interesting with regards to the history of feuds in Val Trebbia, contains documents concerning the Malaspina starting from mid sixteenth century. The most ancient is the diploma of Emperor Frederick I Barbarossa who conferred the estates to Marquis Malaspina on 29 September 1164.



Malaspina historical library is a collection of important and rare books, consisting of approx. 1300 volumes, all ancient editions published before 1830,  among which an incunabulum and 100 books printed in the sixteenth century, preserved inside a room of the palace, in wooden bookcases. A significant heritage concerning the cultural and scientific interests of Marquises Malaspina, fond bibliologist and books enthusiasts.  
In term of contents, the works concern various disciplines, in particular there are juridical, classic literature and philosophical books, botanical, agricultural and hippology studies, treaties on mathematics, medicine and economy, religious and catechism books, grammar and geography manuals, and scientific and historical works. Among these books, incunabulum "Summola di Pacifica Coscienza" by Pacifico da Novara printed in Milan in 1497, stands out.